Principal’s Message- December 1, 2017
We have had a great week here at Dooley. The students finished their Reading MAP test and will be taking Math MAP next week. They were all focused and took the assessment seriously. Also, today the students have the chance to shop in our Holiday Shop. Thank you PTA for continuing with this tradition. The students really enjoy the Holiday Shop and I am sure parents enjoy getting a gift that the children picked out especially for them!
5Essentials Parent Survey
District 54 has chosen to provide the optional 5Essentials parent survey. All District 54 parents are encouraged to take this optional survey – whether your child is in a District 54 early childhood program, elementary school or junior high. The parent survey is only 26 questions and the state estimates you can complete it in 10 minutes. The survey is available in English and Spanish. To take the parent survey, please visit https://survey.5-essentials.org/Illinois/ between December 5, 2017 and January 31, 2018. When searching for your school’s name, remember to look up the full name. Parent and student identities will be kept completely confidential and survey responses will not be linked to any individual. If you have any questions about the survey, please contact 5Essentials Client Services at (866) 440-1874 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
If parents have more than one child at a school, they should complete only one survey for that school. In addition, only one parent or guardian per household may participate in the survey. Parents with children enrolled in multiple schools may take the survey for each school. Schools are listed alphabetically by their full names (for example Jane Addams Junior High would be listed under J, not A for Addams). The state is not providing hard copies of this survey. If you do not have access to a computer, you can use one at one of our local libraries. We will also make computers available to parents at our schools. Call your child’s school if you are interested in taking the survey at a District 54 school. If at least 20 percent of our parents complete this survey, a parent supplement will be generated. The parent data will not be reported on the State Report Card. We are hoping to meet the target this year in our schools.
District 54 Cold Weather Response Plan
In order to help parents better prepare for the severe cold weather and snow we often get during winters in our community, I wanted to share with you the District 54 Severe Cold Weather Response Plan. Though District 54 makes every effort to keep our schools open and operational, circumstances beyond our control oftentimes dictate school closings.
Reminder: District 54 Education Foundation – Upcoming Support Opportunity
The Windy City Bulls will host a District 54 takeover night on Wednesday, Dec. 20 at the Sears Centre Arena in Hoffman Estates, and a portion of the proceeds from each ticket purchased will be donated back to the District 54 Education Foundation.
The District 54 take-over night will feature:
- District 54 students participating in performances and other on-court experiences before and throughout the game;
- A District 54 Special Olympics basketball match at halftime; and
- A pre-game career panel for middle school students featuring front-office executives from the Chicago Bulls and Windy City Bulls.
- Dooley 6th Grade Students will be the Red, White and Blue Crew – They will have the opportunity to hold a (very) large American flag on the court during the playing of the National Anthem. If you are interested in having your 6th grader participate please let your 6th grade teacher know AND buy tickets.
The Windy City Bulls will host an assembly at the school that sells the most tickets.
***This is not a drop off event, parents are required to attend and supervise their children****
Reminder: 6th Grade Parent Nights:
On December 6, any student in 6th grade across the district is invited to the Jr. High they will attend as a 7th grader to a parent meeting. Please find the school your child will attend next year below and review the information about the night.
Addams Information on 6th Grade Parent Night
- Wednesday, December 6th, 2017 @ 6:00 p.m.
- The Dual Japanese presentation is at 5:30 p.m. for Dual Language Students only
Frost Information on 6th Grade Parent Night
- Wednesday, December 6, 2017 @ 6:00 PM
Eisenhower Information on 6th Grade Parent Night
- Wednesday, December 6, 2017 @ 6:30 PM
Mead Information on 6th Grade Parent Night
- Wednesday, December 6, 2017 @ 6:00 PM
- Dec. 4 – Obento Lunch (pre-paid orders)
- Dec. 5 – Treat Day
- Dec. 6 – Wellness Lunch (pre-paid orders)
- Dec. 6 – Jr. High Parent Night
- Dec. 7 – Pizza Lunch (pre-paid orders)
- Dec. 8 – Fun Lunch (pre-paid orders)
- Dec. 11 – Gabutto Burger (pre-paid orders)
- Dec. 12 – Japanese Bread (pre-paid orders)
- Dec. 12 – EIM Concert 6:30 – Prince of Peace
- Dec. 13 – Talent Show Tryouts (2:30-4:00)
- Dec. 14 – Pizza Lunch (pre-paid orders)
- Dec. 14 – School Board Meeting 7:00PM @ Rafferty Center
- Dec. 15 – Fun Lunch (pre-paid orders)
- Dec. 18 – Obento Lunch (pre-paid orders)
- Dec. 19 – Treat Day
- Dec. 20 – Wellness Lunch (pre-paid orders)
- Dec. 21 – Pizza Lunch (pre-paid orders)
- Dec. 21 – PTA Winter Parties (1:30-2:30)
- Dec. 21 – Winter Break begins at 3:00PM
- Jan. 8 – School Resumes