Principal’s Message- February 7, 2018
Kindergarten registration is tomorrow night! Thursday, February 8 is the official District 54 Kindergarten Registration Day. Registration is intended for any incoming Dooley-based kindergarteners for the 2018-2019 school year. In order to register, your child must be age 5 on or before September 1, 2018. Registration will take place at Dooley School from 9:00 a.m. -11:00 p.m. and 6:00-8:00 p.m. If you have any questions, please call our office at 847-357-6250.
In order to register, parents must bring the child’s official birth certificate, proof of residency (a lease/tax bill, and 2 bills), and phone numbers of people to be contacted in emergencies. Parents are required to pay a $50 consumable materials fee by check or money order. We look forward to meeting all our new Dooley families!
Open Enrollment Presentation and Tour:
Tuesday, February 20 at 9:00 AND Thursday, February 22 at 1:00 we are having our Dual Language/EIM Information and Tour. We are offering the same presentation on these two different dates to accommodate families’ schedules, you only need to attend one of the dates. This is only for families who are interested in our Japanese Dual Language program/Early Instrumental Music program and want to learn more about it. All applications are due to Dooley by Friday, Feb. 9. We will have Kindergarten Round-Up for all 2018/2019 kindergarten students in May.
PTA and Oyanokai Meeting:
Families please note the time change…..Our PTA meeting on February 12th will be held at 6:00PM and the Oyanokai meeting will be held at 6:45. Both meetings will meet in the Dooley lounge.
Schaumburg Parent University – February classes:
Schaumburg Parent University (SPU) is designed to involve more parents in the life of the school, to strengthen family relationships, and to improve parenting skills that will ultimately result in improved student success academically, socially and emotionally. There are two evening programs scheduled for February.
- Renter Rights – Attorney Caroline Manley will teach attendees about Illinois landlord and tenant law and how to best protect yourself as a tenant. Topics covered will include: what to look for in a lease, security deposits, evictions, illegal lock-outs and habitability issues. This presentation for adults only will be presented in English and Spanish and will take place from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. on February 6 at the Professional Learning Center, 522 East Schaumburg Road, Schaumburg.
- Family Engineering Night – Using everyday materials, your family will become engineers who develop solutions to various challenges, build towers and design an artistic robot. Discover how STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) makes all of these things possible. Limited to 50 families. This activity event will take place from 6:30 to 8 p.m. on February 21 at the Professional Learning Center, 522 East Schaumburg Road, Schaumburg.
To register or for more information, contact Meg Kwak at (847) 357-6586 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Leave your name, contact information, the number of children requiring free childcare and the name of your child’s school.
Reminder: Student-Led Conferences (February 15th and 16th):
Student-Led Conferences will be held in February. They are scheduled for February 15th and 16th. Conference invitations have been sent home. This conference involves your child as the leader showing what he/she has learned and taking the initiative to reflect on his/her performance to set new academic and social goals with you. There will be more than one family in the room at the same time. The classroom teacher will move around the room and meet with each family group for a short time to make comments and answer questions. You will have up to 30 minutes allocated for your conference time.
We believe this is a great opportunity for your child to explain their learning. You can participate by giving them praise for their efforts and discuss opportunities for growth. We are certain that you will see tremendous progress as you look through your child’s portfolio.
Please remember, you always have the option to talk to your child’s teacher throughout the year. If this conference does not meet your needs, please feel free to set up another time to talk to the classroom teacher. We are always happy to discuss your child’s progress with you anytime throughout the school year.
Reminder About PTA Valentine’s Day Parties:
This year our PTA will NOT be hosting a Valentine’s Day party. They have chosen to host an end of the year party instead. The students can still bring in their valentines to distribute to their classmates. The teachers will set time aside during the school day to do this. Please do NOT send any edible items with the valentines. If you want to send something to pass out with your child’s valentines, you can send any non-edible item such as pencils, erasers, etc.
- 2/8 – Pizza Lunch (pre-paid)
- 2/8 – Kindergarten Registration
- 2/9 – Fun Lunch (pre-paid)
- 2/12 – Obento Lunch (pre-paid)
- 2/12 – PTA @ 6:00PM
- 2/12 – Oyanokai @ 6:45PM
- 2/13 – Japanese Bread (pre-paid)
- 2/15 – Student Dismissal at 11:40, Student Led Conferences AND PTA Book Fair
- 2/16 – No School, Student Led Conferences AND PTA Book Fair
- 2/19 – No School, President’s Day
- 2/20 – PTA Treat Day
- 2/20 – Open Enrollment Presentation and Tour @ Dooley, 9:00AM
- 2/21 – Wellness Lunch (pre-paid)
- 2/21 – Dooley’s Got Talent (6:00PM)
- 2/22 – Pizza Lunch (pre-paid)
- 2/22 – Open Enrollment Presentation and Tour @ Dooley, 1:00PM
- 2/23 – Fun Lunch (pre-paid)
- 2/26 – Gabutto Burger (pre-paid)
- 2/27 – Japanese Bread (pre-paid)
- 2/28 – Bowling Night for 1st and 2nd grade ONLY, More information coming soon