Principal’s Message- April 4, 2018
Welcome back from spring break! We hope you had a wonderful time with family and friends. The students are back into the swing of school. They all have reconnected with their friends, teachers and are focused on the tasks. It is great to see everyone back!
The PARCC assessment is coming up starting April 9th. We are excited to see our students’ efforts as they apply all of their hard work by doing their best on this upcoming assessment. The PARCC assessment schedule for Dooley is as follows:
- Monday, April 9 – English Language Arts Unit 1 (Grades 3-6)
- Tuesday, April 10 – English Language Arts Unit 2 (Grades 3-6)
- Wednesday, April 11 – English Language Arts Unit 3 (Grades 3-6)
- Thursday, April 12 – Mathematics Unit 1 (Grades 3-6)
- Friday, April13 – Mathematics Unit 2 (Grades 3-6)
- Monday, April 16 – Mathematics Unit 3 (Grades 3-6)
- Tuesday, April 17 – Mathematics Unit 4 (Grades 3-5)
- Wednesday, April 18 – Illinois Science Assessment (Grade 5)
All students will be taking their PARCC tests in the morning. You can help your child do his/her best on the test by:
- making sure, if possible, that your child attends school on the days of testing;
- making sure your child gets a good night’s sleep the night before testing;
- providing a nutritional breakfast on the mornings of testing;
- reminding your child to ask the teacher questions if he/she does not understand the test direction;
- letting your child know that you are confident in his/her ability to do his/her best;
- advising your child not to worry about the test – just to do the best he/she can.
PTA Summer Camp Scholarships
Dooley PTA has just learned that the student scholarship applications for summer camps are DUE THIS FRIDAY, APRIL 6TH!
Dooley PTA apologizes for the very short notice to parents but due to a clerical error, PTA has just learned the Scholarship Applications are due this Friday.
Please go to Schaumburg School District 54 web-site, PTA.sd54.org for the application form and further instructions. The completed application form MUST be in the school office no later than 2:00 pm on Friday, April 6th.
Spring Pictures will be on Friday, April 6. This year, we will not be able to pull family and friends together during the school day to take the picture. All pictures will be taken on an individual basis per classroom.
District 54 School Safety Presentation – April 23
District 54 invites all parents to attend a presentation on crisis prevention and response at 7 p.m. on Monday, April 23, at the District 54 Professional Learning Center, 522 E. Schaumburg Road, Schaumburg. The safety of our students and employees is the top priority in District 54. District administrators will discuss safety measures in our schools, including how the district works in close partnership with our local police and fire departments on crisis prevention and response. The district will also discuss supports that are in place for students who are struggling socially or emotionally.
Science Fair Information – Wed April 11th
All Science Fair Participants can arrive at 8:00 am to set-up their project in the gym. All project set-up must be complete by 8:40 am at which time students should report to their homeroom for attendance and announcements. Students will be called down to the gym during the day when it is time to be judged. Families are invited to return in the evening at 6:00 pm to view all of the projects. Awards will begin at 6:15pm.
Schaumburg Parent University – Upcoming Classes
Schaumburg Parent University (SPU) is designed to involve more parents in the life of the school, to strengthen family relationships, and to improve parenting skills that will ultimately result in improved student success academically, socially and emotionally.
- Navigating ADHD: Training and Support for Parents – April 11This event is for adults only. Dr. Michael Feld is nationally known in child and adolescent psychology with expertise in Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD). Dr. Feld will discuss best practices for parenting children and adolescents with ADHD. As always, Dr. Feld will answer questions and reflect on personal anecdotes in his easy going and humorous style. This event will take place from 6 to 7 p.m. on April 11 at the District 54 Board Room, 524 E. Schaumburg Road, Schaumburg.
- A Girl’s Purpose Workshop – April 25This class is for mothers and fifth- to eighth-grade girls. We will chat, laugh, ask questions and learn about tools for a healthy, strong, emotionally balanced life. Chat session first, then you will make two essential oil roller bottles to take home. We will end the workshop with a powerful and calming yoga session catered just for you. The cost for the essential oils activity and yoga is $15 per person. This event will take place from 6 to 8 p.m. on April 25 at the District 54 Professional Learning Center, 522 E. Schaumburg Road, Schaumburg.
- Summer Camp Expo – May 1
This event is for parents and students, but childcare is also available. Visit tables to learn about the various summer camps and programs available in Schaumburg Township and the surrounding area. Programs and agencies attending the expo will be listed at http://sd54.org/spu. This event will take place from 6 to 7:30 p.m. on May 1 at the Professional Learning Center, 522 East Schaumburg Road, Schaumburg.
To register, contact Meg Kwak at (847) 357-6586 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Leave your name, contact information, the number of children requiring childcare and the name of your child’s school. If you represent an agency in the area and would like to reserve a booth at the Summer Camp Expo, please contact Meagan Kasper at (847) 357-5027 or email@example.com.
Physicals required for Jr. High Sports
Now that our sixth graders have gone through the process of selecting classes for seventh grade, it’s a good time to let parents know about the physical exam requirement for any students interested in participating in interscholastic (after school) sports in junior high school.
District 54 requires that any student playing interscholastic sports have a current physical on file. The physical exam is valid for one year from the date of the physical.
Athletes cannot try out or practice with a team until a current physical is on file.
Since sports physicals are valid for one year from the date of the physical, parents of students who are interested in participating in any junior high sport are urged to schedule a physical during the summer months. This will allow the student to participate in any sport throughout the year. These summer appointments fill up quickly so allow enough time.
If you have questions, feel free to contact the junior high school where your child will be attending.
- 4/5 – Pizza Day (prepaid)
- 4/5 – School Board Meeting @ Rafferty Center, 7:00PM
- 4/6 – Spring Pictures
- 4/6 – Daddy/Daughter Dance (preorder tickets only)
- 4/9 – PTA Meeting @ 6:00PM
- 4/9 – Oyanokai Meeting @ 6:45PM
- 4/9 – Obento Lunch (prepaid)
- 4/10 – Japanese Bread (prepaid)
- 4/11 – Science Fair, Parent viewing at 6:00PM
- 4/12 – Pizza Lunch (prepaid)
- 4/13 – Fun Lunch (prepaid)
- 4/16 – Gabutto Burger (prepaid)
- 4/16 – No afterschool clubs today
- 4/17 – Treat Day
- 4/18 – Wellness Lunch (prepaid)
- 4/19 – Pizza Lunch (prepaid)
- 4/19 – School Board Meeting @ Rafferty Center, 7:00PM
- 4/20 – Fun Lunch (prepaid)