Principal’s Message about PARCC Testing- April 6, 2018
The testing window for the 2018 Partnership for Assessment of Readiness for College and Careers (PARCC) will be from April 2-20 for junior high students and April 9-20 for elementary students in District 54. Most students at our school will test from April 9 to April 17. Students in grades 3-8 will participate in the English/language arts and the math assessments with most students in grades 7-8 taking the test online and most students in grades 3-6 taking the test through the paper-pencil version. This is the fourth year Illinois and District 54 have participated in the PARCC assessment. Since 2016, the exam has a simpler and shorter format to improve the testing process.
Our students in grades 5 and 8 will participate in the Illinois Science Assessment (ISA). This exam consists of one online test which takes approximately one hour. The assessment is aligned to the Illinois Learning Standards for Science incorporating the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS), which were adopted in 2014. Most of our students will test on April 18.
This year’s results will allow you to see how your children are growing in their knowledge and understanding of the state’s learning standards. These assessments are simply one measure of academic progress that will provide us a sense of where we are succeeding and where we must improve.
You can help your children do their best on the test by
- making sure, if possible, that your children attend school on the day of testing;
- ensuring your children get a good night’s sleep the night before testing;
- providing breakfast on the mornings of testing;
- reminding your children to ask the teacher questions if they don’t understand the test directions;
- letting your children know that you have confidence in their abilities; and
- advising your children not to worry about the test, and to simply do their best.
Please contact me directly if you want additional information or have further questions about these tests.
We look forward to sharing the results with you once they are received later this year.