Principal’s Message- May 22, 2020
We would like to thank all of our families for participating in supply pick up and drop off this week. It brought us so much joy to see our students and their smiles through car windows. We are missing them all very much. Thank you for taking the time to pick up belongings for each of your children.
This week’s highlight is Ms. Giammarese’s 3rd and 4th grade class. We hope you enjoy reading about all of the fun things happening with Ms. G’s students: Room 226 Virtual Highlights
We hope all of you have a healthy and relaxing long weekend. We look forward to seeing students on Tuesday for V-Learning.
PTA End of Year Gift
Dooley PTA has generously donated a gift for each student. When students come for their designated supply pick up day, they will receive a painting kit to create Dudley the Dragon. Mrs. Thomas has created a tutorial video: How to Draw Dudley the Dragon to accompany this gift.
Fourth Grade Students and Parents – Band and Orchestra Enrollment Information
As many of you know, students traditionally enroll in the District 54 Instrumental Music Program in the spring of fourth grade and begin lessons in fifth grade. Due to our unique circumstances in the spring of 2020, instrumental music enrollment will be held once school resumes in the fall. In the meantime, we encourage fourth grade students and their parents to visit the District 54 website (https://sd54.org/resources/instrumental-music-enrollment-spring2020) to view information about band and orchestra enrollment so that they are prepared to choose an instrument and join the fun!
District 54 Virtual Learning University
Are you searching for an innovative way to empower your children over the summer? Are you looking for a comprehensive approach to summer learning that combats boredom and keeps everyone engaged? Look no further! Visit the School District 54 Virtual Learning University to tackle challenges for literacy, math, science, social science, social-emotional learning, language and culture too! Each area has multiple challenges or a toolkit to keep your children’s minds focused and active throughout the summer weeks! Within each category you will find family activities, individual activities and possible places to visit in our community and surrounding areas. We hope you’ll encourage your children to visit our Virtual Learning University often throughout the summer to challenge themselves and to keep your family learning together. Click here to access the Virtual Learning University or find the link under Popular Links on the District 54 website.
Grades and Report Cards
Report Cards will be available online within the District 54 Parent Portal starting June 2nd. An email will be sent to you once your child’s report card is available.
In accordance with the Illinois State Board of Education guidelines, report card grades for the third trimester will be designated as Pass or Incomplete. Final year end grades for students in fourth through eighth grade will reflect second trimester grades or higher as evaluated by student work across the third trimester.
We hope that all families will check the report cards and use the information to celebrate with their children their academic successes. We are all very proud of our students.
Schaumburg Oyanokai Obento and Japanese Bread
PAST DUE!! Parents who have ordered Obento lunches or Japanese bread, we need your Google Form AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. Please indicate your preferences for either reimbursement or donation. SO Obento and Bread Form
PTA Treat Cards
PTA Treat cards were sent home with student belongings this week.
Returning Students- Please keep them in a safe place and bring them back next year to enjoy treat day again.
6th Graders – Every year, they are the only students allowed to purchase treats as many as they want to finish their treat cards at the last treat day. We are very sorry that they missed that opportunity. PTA is trying to have some opportunities to use their treat cards, but everything is uncertain. Their cards can be used by their siblings returning to Dooley next year or PTA is always welcome to refund the remaining in the fall.
District 54 Summer Camps Cancelled
Due to this unprecedented time we are faced with, all District 54 Summer Camps have been cancelled for this year. These camps include, Summer STEM, 54 Fitness League, Camp Creative, Language and Culture Camp, and Summer Instrumental Music. If you have submitted a payment for any camp, you will be issued a refund starting Thursday, April 30, and you should see a credit appear on your statement within 14 business days.
The camp facilitators are going to miss seeing students this summer. Students in all grade levels can stay engaged by participating in the School District 54 Summer Virtual Learning University, which is filled with fun activities and challenges for students and families to participate in together from home. The link for the Virtual Learning University will be on the School District 54 website in the last week of May.
Our PTA Needs Volunteers
We have one more role for a volunteer to fill in 2020-2021– the PTA Treasurer. Please see below for a description of the duties and time commitment. If you are interested, please let us know.
PTA Treasurer: Approximate time commitment 2-3 hours per month
1. Receive all monies and keep an accurate record of receipts and expenditures.
2. Place all monies in the bank.
3. Pay out funds in accordance with the budget as approved by the membership.
Checks shall be signed by the treasurer and one (1) other duly elected and authorized officer.
4. Attend monthly meetings and present a written financial statement at every meeting.
5. Be responsible for the remittance of the state and national portion of the dues.
6. Provide the checkbook, all bank statements, canceled and voided checks, deposit slips, treasurer’s record book and receipt book, vouchers and invoices for all disbursements to the audit committee.
7. Be responsible for completion and filing of appropriate forms as may be required
by Internal Revenue Service Regulations no later than the date established by the regulations.
8. Complete an official Illinois PTA Financial workshop.
Food Distribution and Donation Opportunities
You can find updates regarding food pantry locations and distribution and information on donation opportunities on the District 54 website.
Registration for the 2020-21 school year is underway for kindergarten through eighth grade.
Log in in to the parent portal, and update your information for next year by June 1, 2020. You must hit the SUBMIT button after reviewing the information, even if you don’t make any changes. If your children will not be attending District 54 schools next year, please contact your school office and let them know.
If you have previously created a portal account and cannot recall your username or password, you can reset them yourself from the parent portal website. If you have never created a portal account, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to create one.
All families are required to prove that they live within District 54 boundaries every year. If we were unable to verify your residency electronically, you will have the ability to upload your residency electronically through your portal. If you do not have a portal account, you can also email the required documents to email@example.com.
Information about transportation and the consumable materials fee will be communicated at a later time.
Pizza, Field Trip, and Milk Refunds
Refunds for pizza lunches, field trips, and milk have been issued through the Parent Portal.
Dooley End of Year Procedures
Week of May 29th: Technology Drop Off Day for 2nd Grade & Non-Returning Students
The week of May 25th, our teachers will begin packing up their classrooms. On the day that your child’s teacher is packing, enrichment activities will be pushed out to their students. These may look a bit different than the typical V-Learning lessons. We hope they are engaging and fun for your child.
- Tuesday, May 26th: All Kindergarteners will receive enrichment activities
- Wednesday, May 27th: All 1st and 2nd graders will receive enrichment activities
- Thursday, May 28th: All 5th and 6th graders will receive enrichment activities; please note this is the last day of attendance for all students.
- Friday, May 29th: Records day, student non-attendance day, tech drop off day for 2nd graders (see schedule below). This is also the last day for students to log in on Chromebooks.
2nd Grade and Non-Returning Technology Drop off Schedule
- Dooley will have a tech collection team present for parents to drive through bus loops for drop-off of materials
- We are only collecting technology from second graders and non-returning students
- 2nd Graders should return iPads and chargers
- Devices for other grade levels are District property and will be utilized next fall. This includes 6th graders, who will use their current devices in 7th grade
- Parents are to place student technology materials in the trunks of their cars, cars will pull through bus loops at assigned times (below), staff will remove technology materials from trunks and mark off each device returned by student name
- Parents and students are to remain in cars at all times
- Friday, May 29th:
- 9:00-9:30 S. Kim
- 9:30-10:00 Nowak
- 10:00-10:30 Y. Kim
- 10:30-11:00 Bach
- 11:00-11:30 All non-returning students (moving out of District 54)